Nobody likes to talk about the possibility of disaster, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a comprehensive disaster recovery plan for your business. You may not be hit with a hurricane, tornado, or earthquake, but even a broken pipe or a minor fire can temporarily wipe out your business.
Big companies have committees and consultants to deal with recovery planning. Smaller businesses are finally recognizing the need for similar plans. Here is a list of questions to get you started on developing a plan.
- Where would you work if you couldn’t work in your office?
- Can you arrange to share office space with another business?
- How would you stay in contact with your customers?
- Do you have a list of every employee’s name, address, and home phone number?
- Do you have copies of your customer list at home?
- Are all of your important business records backed up and stored offsite?